Garbage & Recycling
The Residential Refuse Collection Program is a partnership between the Village of Park Forest and Homewood Disposal Co. Inc./Star Disposal. Service is provided to single-family residences only. Each home is billed at a rate of roughly $20 per month for this service. Star Disposal removes three types of waste: common household waste, recyclable waste and yard waste.
Common Household Waste
Village-wide refuse collection is provided on Tuesday of every week. Garbage cans should be placed curbside by 7 a.m. When Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, and July 4th fall on a Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday, garbage collection will take place on Wednesday of that week only. Residents must use the brown garbage can provided by Star Disposal. Additional cans are available through Star.
There is no bulk collection day, however residents may place one large item out for collection at no charge each week. Bulk items consist of kitchen appliances, washers, dryers, or furniture.
No hazardous waste, special waste, car parts, tires, or electronic waste will be collected. Small amounts of dirt, sod, bricks, concrete, and remodeling debris will be collected.
Residents can dispose of recyclable waste on Tuesdays by using recycle containers provided by Star Disposal. Additional containers are available through Star. Accepted items are:
- White, brown, and green glass bottles and jars
- Tin and aluminum containers
- Plastic containers, #1-7 (excluding #6) - Look for number on container
- Newspapers, junk mail, magazines, telephone books, catalogs, cardboard (emptied and flattened)
Park Forest residents may place electrics at the curb on garbage day for pick-up by Homewood Disposal at no extra charge by:
- Calling 708-798-1004 or visiting www.mydisposal.com/ewaste to schedule your e-waste pick-up.
- Place your scheduled electronics at the curb on garbage day (Tuesday).
- A separate truck picks up electronics.
• Minimum of 5 electronic items or 1 TV/Monitor per scheduled pick-up.
• Maximum of 2 TVs/Monitors per year, per address.
• This program is for single-family homes serviced through the Village Municipal Contract.
As a reminder to residents, disposing of electronics with household garbage was made illegal Jan. 1, 2012.
Yard Waste is collected on Tuesday, from April 1 through November 30. Residents must use Star Disposal yard waste bags or place Star Disposal stickers on yard waste bags. Star Disposal bags and stickers are available at Village Hall.
Residents in single-family homes also have an option to rent a 95-gallon yard waste cart from Star Disposal. Additional carts are available at the request of the resident. Tree branches are also available for collection by Star Disposal. Branches must be five feet in length or less, bundled, and no branch may be greater than four inches in diameter.
Christmas tree pick-up service is provided in January. All ornaments, tinsel, lights, etc. must be removed.
For questions regarding the Garbage Program, please call Star Disposal at 708-748-8381.