Building/Community Development


AS OF APRIL 1, 2020!

Due to the National Emergency caused by COVID-19 and the Governor’s Shelter in Place Order the Village Hall is closed to the public and non-essential employees. Building Department services have been suspended or altered until the Shelter in Place Order is lifted, which is expected to be April 30, 2020. During this time the Building Department is not accepting applications for change of occupancies and change of occupancy inspections are suspended. However, the Building Department is accepting construction permits and transfer stamps through mail or through the drop box located to the east of the Village Hall’s main entrance next to the FedEx and UPS drop boxes.

Change of Occupancy Inspections:

Property sellers and landlords are asked to apply for change of occupancy inspections within 30 days after the Shelter in Place Order has been lifted. If properties are occupied without the change of occupancy inspection process and a certificate of occupancy during the Shelter in Place Order, the Village will NOT take enforcement actions as long as reasonable efforts are made to apply for the change of occupancy inspection within 30 days after the Shelter in Place Order is lifted. 

Building/Construction Permits:

  • Documents can be submitted by mail or drop box.
  • Completed Application for a Building Permit.
  • Standard submittal documents including construction drawings, scope of work, and contracts must be submitted at the time of application.
  • Unfortunately, this process will be much more time consuming; as always, permits will not be issued "same day". 
  • Approved permits will be sent to the submitter via US mail.
  • Payments can be made with check, money order, cashiers check, or the applicant can provide a phone number at which they can be reached to provide credit card information. Please DO NOT include credit card information with submitted documents. Cash is not accepted at this time.

Transfer Stamps:

  • Completed Village of Park Forest Transfer form.
  • Any monies due to the Village (water bills, liens, citations, invoices, etc) would need to be paid prior to the transfer stamp being issued.
  • Payment for the transfer stamp ($5.00/$1000 of the purchase price).
  • Payment needs to be made by certified funds, which include cashier’s check, money order, or attorney’s check. Payment can also be arranged by credit card when a phone number for the applicant is provided. The applicant will be called for the credit card information. Please DO NOT include credit card information with submitted documents. Cash is not accepted at this time.
  • Transfer stamps will be returned to the applicant via US Mail. For a faster return, please include a UPS or FedEx label.

At this time we are not accepting applications for building permits or transfer stamps via email. We are, however, available to answer questions or offer assistance for building department related issues during this time via email. Please send such emails to and

Our goal is to get back to work serving the public as soon as possible. Stay well and stay safe.


The Building/Community Development Department oversees the regulatory code enforcement of the building and zoning functions as well as housing and community development activities. The department works to ensure safe and healthful living conditions for residents, achieve compliance with building codes, and preserve the community’s housing stock.


Property Code Enforcement

The property code enforcement division handles the traditional new construction / building permit activity, as well as property maintenance code enforcement for all residential and commercial properties within the Village. The Change of Occupancy Inspection Program, Annual Street by Street Canvas Inspection Program and Annual Multifamily Residential Common Areas Inspection Program and a plethora of Special Enforcement Emphasis Programs, such as tall grass and weeds, overgrowth sight obstructions, garbage can placement times, etc. are administered here.


The housing division’s major emphasis is the oversight of the Housing Authority of Park Forest. All HUD regulation enforcement and implementation is handled. Eligibility of landlords and tenants and placement approvals are administered in this area.

Notice of Foreclosure

Banks, mortgage companies, other lenders or applicable parties sending notice of foreclosure in compliance with 735 ILCS 5/15-15039 (b): notice of foreclosure should be sent to the following address:

Village of Park Forest
Attn: Building Department
350 Victory Drive
Park Forest, IL 60466